BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer file sharing protocol used for distributing large amounts of data over the Internet. BitTorrent is one of the most common protocols for transferring large files and it has been estimated that peer-to-peer networks.The BitTorrent protocol can be used to reduce the server and network impact of distributing large files. Rather than downloading a file from a single source server, the BitTorrent protocol allows users to join a “swarm” of hosts to download and upload from each other simultaneously . Because it is designed to consume minimal system resources and to be simple to use, it is relatively straightforward to configure uTorrent to optimize your download and upload speeds.
Below are the steps to configure the bittorrent client
- Open Bittorrent.
The Bittorrent can be opened by clicking on the “Start” menu and navigating to its icon. In Mac OS X, open the program by clicking on its icon in the “Applications” folder.
- Open the Preferences menu. To Open the Preferences menu, click on the “Options” heading in the program’s task bar, and then select “Preferences.”(Ctrl+P) or you can click on upper right most icon for “Preferences.” menu.
- Configure the “Connection” settings in the Preferences menu. Once the Preferences menu has appeared, click on “General” in the left panel.In General tab we can configure Language, Windows Integration, Privacy and Downloading options.
- Configure the “UI Settings” in the Preferences menu. Once the Preferences menu has appeared, click on “UI Settings” in the left panel.In the UI Settings tab we can configure the user interface settings lick Display Options, System Tray, When Adding torrents and Actions for Double Click.
- Configure the “Directories” in the Preferences menu. Once the Preferences menu has appeared, click on “Directories” in the left panel.In the Directories tab we can set the Location of Download files during the download and after completing the download and also the the location of .torrent file during the download and after completing the download .
- Configure the “Connection” settings in the Preferences menu. Once the Preferences menu has appeared, click on “Connection” in the left panel. Make sure that the incoming port box reads “443,” and check the 2 boxes labeled “Enable UPnP port mapping” and “Enable NAT-PMP port mapping.” Leave the other boxes unchecked.We can also set here Proxy server Setting if we used the proxy server.
- Configure the “Bandwidth” settings in the Preferences menu. Click on the “Bandwidth” option in the left panel. We can set download and upload bandwidth for our torrent client , Set the maximum download rate to “0,” if you want download speeds to be unlimited. Set the maximum upload rate to as high a value as your system can handle.
- Configure the “BitTorrent” settings in the Preferences menu. In the left panel, select the “BitTorrent” option. In this menu, check every checkbox except for “Limit local peer bandwidth.” For the option reading “Outgoing Protocol Encryption,” select “Enabled.”
- Configure the “Transfer Cap” settings in the Preferences menu.In the left panel, select the “Transfer Cap” option. In this menu, In the Transfer Cap tab we can limit , if we want, our download limit, Upload limit or Download + Upload limit, also we can see the Uses history for selected periods.
- Configure the “Queueing” settings in the Preferences menu. Click on the “Queueing” option in the left panel. Use any value for the maximum number of active torrents allowed; this will depend on how heavy your usage of uTorrent is.we can also set here seeding goal default valus and minimum seeding time in minutes, Make sure that the “Seed While” boxes are set to at least 100 percent and 0 minutes. This will ensure that your program seeds enough torrents to keep your download speed optimized.
- Configure the “Scheduler” settings in the Preferences menu.In the left panel, select the “Scheduler” option.in scheduler tab we can schedule , if we want, the download and upload limit in week days, there are 4 options available for each day full speed download and upload , limited download and upload, seeding only and turn off.
- Configure the “Streaming” settings in the Preferences menu.In the left panel, select the “Streaming” option.In Streaming tab we can configure the torrent client for the streaming settings of course for those file which support the streaming, we can set default player for playing the media, Streaming peer timeout and streaming buffer size.
Apply the settings you changed. After editing all of the above preferences, click the “Apply” button to apply your changes. Remember to seed files as often as possible, as this is the chief factor that influences how fast your downloads will be. Also it will help other to download the file.