Android system keyboard auto-complete and suggest words when we type a message, email, note or blog post. It also checks the spelling of words you type and auto-correct if finds misspells.
Android system highlights auto-corrected word and when you tap spacebar it replace the word you type. If you want to input the word you type then tap on the first word at the suggestion bar. Sometimes this feature annoy users, specially when they type in a not supported language.
If you want to stop auto-correction setting, follow these steps:
- Open Settings and tap on Language & input under Personal settings section.
- If you are using Android 4.0 (ICS) then uncheck the box before Spelling Correction to turn off auto-correction. on Android 2.3 tap settings icon next to Android keyboard and turn off Auto-correction.
This simple trick will always works for you. If you want to re-enable auto-correction then check the box before Spelling Correction setting.
If you have Sony Ericsson Xperia or Sony Xperia phone with Android 4.0 ICS installed, then you may get different keyboard settings. To completely turn off word suggestion on Xperia follow these steps.
- Tap on quick settings next to Xperia Keyboard under Language & input –> Personal Dictionary.
- Now tap on Text input settings –> Word Suggestions.
- Select appropriate option that suites your needs. These options includes setting about auto-correction, accents, upper case and word suggestions.