The Khan Academy is a not-for-profit educational organization, created in 2006 by MIT graduate educatorSalman Khan.
With the stated mission of “providing a high quality education to anyone, anywhere”, the website supplies a free online collection of more than 2,400 micro lectures via video tutorials stored on YouTube teaching mathematics, history, finance, physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy, economics and computer science.
Khan academy awards :
- Salman Khan has been featured in San Francisco Chronicle, on the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS), The Colbert Report, National Public Radio, CNN,and CNN Money.
- In 2009, the Khan Academy received the MicrosoftTech Award for education.
- In 2010 at the Aspen Ideas Festival, Bill Gates endorsed the learning resource, calling it “unbelievable” and saying “I’ve been using [Khan Academy] with my kids.”
- In 2010, Google’s Project 10100 provided $2 million to support the creation of more courses, to allow for translation of the Khan Academy’s content, and to allow for the hiring of additional staff.
- In 2011, Salman Khan delivered a TED talk.
- On May 4, 2011, Salman Khan appeared on Charlie Rose.
- Salman Khan appeared on The Colbert Report on June 2, 2011.
- An article featuring Khan Academy and Salman Khan appeared in the August 2011 issue of Wired Magazine
Once bill gates saw a video lecture and he called that 12 minute video lecture “the start of revolution”.
That lecture will now be linked with the material in some digital textbooks.
Etextbook maker Kno announced Monday that it will integrate thousands of tutorial videos from Khan Academy into its books.
Salman Khan, started creating videos in order to help his cousins with their math homework. Video production quality does not extend beyond the capabilities of Microsoft Paint.
Kno will be linking them to its books through a new “smart links” feature. When students click on a Khan Academy tutorial from a new tab on one of Kno’s digital pages, Khan’s explanation of that topic plays within the book.
Khan said that “We’re excited that Kno sees the value in our mission and has integrated our videos and study tools directly into their books,” .