do you ever think hosting a file on your home computer as a webserver or your friend or family member needs photograph or mp3 and you dont have to upload it online you just make your own pc a webserver yes now this is possible yesterday opera labs introduced a new web applictaion called opera unite known as websever in webbrowser.
It turns any computer into both a client and a server, allowing it to interact with and serve content to other computers directly across the Web, without the need for third-party servers.
there may be a lot of situtaion when you need a webserver like as three discussed by labnol
“I believe what we have here is Web 5.0, the natural step so that every computer can share content and services,” said Opera chief executive Jon von Tetzchner. “Right now if you want to share something you put it in the cloud. But what if you only want to share it with a few people? You still have to put it in the cloud. We are enabling every computer in the world to be a two-way street on the internet.
” Unite is currently a technical preview, but Christen Krogh, Opera’s vice president of engineering, demonstrated a handful of features, including a virtual ‘fridge’ that can have notes attached to it for remote viewing and correspondence. Opera Unite works on Linux, Mac and Windows, and will become a feature of Opera 10.
How to use Opera Unite:
1. Download the Opera Unite build from http://labs.opera.com/.
2. To start Opera Unite, click the Opera Unite logo in the lower left-hand corner of the browser and log in with your existing Opera ID – the same Opera ID used for other Opera services such as My Opera and Opera Link. Opera Unite will prompt you to register an Opera ID if you do not have one.
3. Now you are ready to use Opera Unite. Simply access your Opera Unite services from the Opera Unite panel of the browser. New services can be installed from http://unite.opera.com/.
4. Running a service will give you a direct Web address to the Opera Unite service on your device. That link will also allow others to access the same Web service from your computer through their Web browser.
5. You may also see which friends are using Opera Unite services on your My Opera Unite home page.
Current Opera Unite services are as follows:
- File Sharing – Securely share a file from your personal computer without waiting to upload it. First select the folder from which you would like to share files. Opera Unite then generates a direct URL to that folder. By giving that link to your friends, you can share files without routing through a third-party Web service.
- Web Server – Run entire Web sites from your local computer with the Opera Unite Web Server. After selecting the folder containing your Web site, you can share and host it from the given Opera Unite URL. Opera Unite will automatically recognize index files and create the Web site as you designed it.
- Media Player – Rock out wherever you are by accessing your MP3s and playlists from any machine. After selecting the folder containing your playlist, use the Opera Unite direct link to play your tracks directly in any modern Web browser.
- Photo Sharing – Share your photos direct from your PC, without uploading them online. Once you select your photo folder, the photo-sharing service will create a thumbnail image gallery of your photos. Clicking the thumbnail will present the photo in its original resolution.
- The Lounge – The Lounge is a self-contained chat service running on your computer. Your friends can access the chat room via the direct link, which will not require them to sign into any service. Depending on your privacy settings, you need only provide the generated password to your service in order for people to log in to your chatroom.
- Fridge – Post a note on your friends’ virtual refrigerators. By sharing the direct link to your refrigerator, you and your friends, family or colleagues can exchange notes securely and privately in real time.
to download opera unite visit http://labs.opera.com/downloads/