We have covered a post in December, last year, that Google launched a new feed reading service for smartphones in United States. Now this service, i.e. Google Currents goes global with updated app for Android and iOS. With Google Currents you can explore online magazines and other feed content with the swipe of a finger. There are tens of thousands people use this app worldwide. Till date there are nearly 400 publisher editions and over 14,000 self-produced editions available.
When you open Google Currents app on a network connected mobile device, it automatically synchronize content from publishers and available feeds and deliver them on your phone in a beautiful magazine like look. You can read these articles later whenever you want.
Currents has a great list (over 400) of well established websites from various categories of interest. These publishers are from Science, Sports, Business, Technology, Celebrities, Health & Wellness, Design and News categories. Each category has many publishers to choose from. Apart from predefined Currents you can manually add particular websites feed to read. You can add editions by searching them on Google Currents producer page or search from inside the app. Click on the desired edition in search list and then click on ‘Subscribe to this edition’ button to make it available within your app.
Google Currents app has various features, these are listed below:
- Three types of editions:
1) Publisher editions: Publishers such as Forbes, The Guardian, TechCrunch, PBS, Saveur, Popular Science, ABC, 500px, Fast Company, Scientific American, CBS, The Atlantic, and more have produced hundreds of editions including in-depth articles, videos, fine photography, slideshows, live-maps, and social streams.
2) Google trending editions: Google Currents uses Google search technology to hourly build a set of editions tracking the five most recent trending stories in categories such as world, entertainment, sports, science, and more. Each story is presented through a fresh edition of articles, videos, and pictures,
3) Your favorite blogs and feeds: Instantly, turn your Google Reader subscriptions, or any of your favorite blogs/feeds into a beautiful edition with a magazine feel.
- Instant sync while online – No need to press a sync button for updates. Just open an edition and latest content is automatically available.
- Offline reading options – Choose your favorite editions to have images available offline.
- International support – Google Currents is now available worldwide, translated into 44 languages
- Google Translate – Translate complete editions from the “goto” menu to your preferred language.
- International trending – Local trending stories provided for US, FR, UK, DE, IT, ES, JP, AU.
- Google+ sharing – Share to select Google+ circles.
- Customize sharing options – Choose which sharing services to present in your share menu
- Read it Later support – added Read it Later as an additional sharing option.
So enjoy this beautiful app by Google and share your views in comments.