Quicksilver, a free, open sourced launchbar application has added support for Mac OS X Lion in the latest update.QuickSilver allows you to set your own shortcut/hot keys to launch other apps, windows, delete files – pretty much anything. The purpose of QuickSilver is to speed up your workflow.
This is the first major update for the app, which was made open-source years ago by original developers Blacktree Software. In addition to Lion support, the update also includes over 40 new feature additions, fixes and changes. Among those changes are automatic plugins updates and a brand new logo.
Quicksilver offers multiple interface choices, from a menu bar to a transparent bezel that hovers over your desktop. Its other features include a task viewer, a shelf for storing frequently accessed files, and a clipboard history. Quicksilver is a fantastic addition for anyone looking for alternative ways to launch applications from the Dock or to hunt through the Finder for files.Recent updates fixed many crashing and localization issues, and also updated Quicksilver to a faster default compiler.
The search function is very quick and powerful in Quicksilver and once you have found what you are looking for you can apply a number of actions like simply launching it, emailing or moving. What’s more Quicksilver adapts to the file it finds, so if it’s a document you will get to modify or send it, and if it’s an email you will get to email or copy it.
Tunesque,a free app for Mac OS X 10.7 “Lion” that lets you search the iTunes Store for music, movies, apps, and audiobooks without having to launch either the iTunes or the Apple App Store.The results are shown in a format that includes title, author and up-to-date pricing information in the local currency of the iTunes Store selected by the user.Tunesque automatically detects the user’s default iTunes store location when first launched.
Tunesque lives in your Mac’s menubar: click the icon, and start typing to finds apps, music, movies, and books across all stores and “app stores” .If you feel Tunesque’s search is too broad, simply open the Preferences and define what categories you want to search for — you can check them all or just a few.
Once you enter a search term, let’s say OmniFocus, you can arrow down through the results and a hovercard will pop out to the side giving you the app’s description – this is a nice feature.Tunesque is available in 2 color schemes, light and dark.
Tunesque runs in the background, ready to be called into action. It sports a Spotlight-inspired interface that automatically displays results that include music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, e-books, as well as iOS and OS X apps.Tunesque is available from the app’s website and it is free of cost.
Apple has released the seventh beta version of iOS 5 to developers as an Over-the-Air update. The latest beta build of iOS 5 can be downloaded in the iOS Dev Center.
Apple released iOS 5 Beta 6 with minor bug fixes and improvements nearly two weeks ago. A seventh iOS beta is unheard of, and iOS 5 will be Apple’s most revolutionary mobile software release to date when it is launched to the public this Fall.The delta release, which only downloads changed code, is a lighter one, weighing in at around 70MB, compared to 144MB for beta 6.
iOS 5 Beta 6 expires on September 29th, and it’s expected that Apple will hold its next event in either late September or early October.
The following issues relate to using the 5.0 SDK to develop code.
- When creating an iCloud account, you can use any Apple ID as long as it is a full email address and not a MobileMe account. If you have a MobileMe account, you can move that account to iCloud.
- Starting in iOS 5, video content in applications and websites are AirPlay-enabled by default.
- iOS 5 supports AirPlay of video via AV Foundation.
API Validation :
- NEW: Starting in iOS 5.0 development tools beta 7, it is possible to extract APIs used by an application and have them checked for private APIs usage. This option will be offered at Validation time.
Apple TV :
- Apple TV Software beta enables users to mirror the contents of an iPad 2 to an Apple TV (2nd generation) using AirPlay. This beta software also enables Photo Stream on Apple TV so users can access photos stored in iCloud. Slideshow settings are not remembered for slideshow playback (always plays back in Reflections theme). Screen savers settings are behaving properly.
Binary Compatibility :
- On applications linked against the iOS 5.0 SDK, scroll view content offsets will no longer be rounded to integral pixels during a pinch gesture.
- Birthday calendars are not currently available via the icloud.com website or in Windows. They will be available in a future release.
- iBooks 1.2.2 may fail to display some text or images in books. Please update to iBooks 1.3 in the App Store.
iCloud Backup :
- If you enable iCloud Backup, automatic backup with iTunes when syncing will be disabled. We also suggest that you manually back up your device with iTunes. Backups made with earlier versions of iOS 5 beta will soon become incompatible, and will no longer be available.
Apple recommends backing up devices using iTunes 10.5 beta 7 or via iCloud backup before performing the software update.
The new update focuses on support for iCloud, including tighter requirements for apps using iCloud Documents & Datato identify their cloud-stored documents securely.
Devices that enable iCloud Backup will now automatically disable backup through iTunes, accelerating the iTunes sync process.
Apple continues to refine iOS 5, iTunes, Apple TV, and Mac OS X Lion and Snow Leopard releases to launch its full iCloud service smoothly, apparently taking care not to repeat the rushed, problematic and very embarrassing launch fiascos of MobileMe back in 2008.